Good Shepherd Lutheran College is a Christ-centred community providing educational excellence in a nurturing environment, developing active, knowledgeable and compassionate students, encouraging them to enrich our world through selfless service.
With this in mind, we ask students to commit to service in a manner that is appropriate for each individual, taking into account family circumstances as well as the physical and emotional development of each student.
Service Learning and Action
Fundamental to a Lutheran and International Baccalaureate education is service learning and action. Christian service is a response of the Heart, Head and Hands to the love, forgiveness and mercy of God in Christ. It is motivated by a sense of care and responsibility for all creation.
Learners at Good Shepherd Lutheran College can demonstrate their personal commitment to service as a way of showing faith in action. Responsible action at Good Shepherd is centred on the gospel message and example of Christ.
Service and Action are viewed as integral parts of the learning experiences that Primary and Middle Years Programme students will engage in continuously at the College.
Through a strong values program and by serving within different communities (local, national and global), we believe students will develop attitudes and values that focus on the rights and responsibilities of people. Through the Community and Service program at Good Shepherd, students will:
- Identify personal strengths and potential areas for service
- Better appreciate their rights and responsibilities within and beyond the classroom
- Increase their awareness of the world and community
- Increase their sense of responsibility and commitment to the community
- Foster and encourage a desire to serve
- Gain an insight into different ways of life
- Collaborate and work with others
- Develop their awareness of the links between community service and subject areas
- Gain an appreciation of the positive effects of a compassionate attitude
- Gain an understanding and appreciation of sacrificial service and different types of service